The Garmin Approach S60 was announced to, a smartwatch for the golfer in the family.
“The Approach S60 is as functional of a golf watch as it is a stylish timepiece,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin vice president of global consumer sales. “It’s packed with industry-leading features golfers have come to appreciate and rely on with our Approach series – like advanced AutoShot, SwingTempo, touch targeting and more – yet it’s the most stylish golf watch we’ve offered so it can easily be worn 24/7.”
Garmin Approach S60 features
Stylish, sure, but how about the features?
On the outside, it has a 1.2-inch sunlight readable color touchscreen, with a QuickFit watchband, in a choice of colored silicone, leather or stainless steel. The case has a 5 ATM water rating, so you’ll not need to worry about rain or sweat making it way inside the case.
And inside? It’s pre-loaded with golf course data from 40,000 courses around the world. The inbuilt GPS will show you GPS to show precise yardages to greens, hazards and doglegs. The Approach S60 will also automatically keep track of the location and distance of each (detected) shot, and upload it for you to relive, analyze, and show off after your round.
For greens play, the wearer can pull up Green View, see the shape of the green, and manually drag the pin location to accurately help their short game.
- Battery life: up to 10 hours in golf mode, and 10 days in watch mode, even with activity tracking.
- Activity tracking: in concert with the Garmin Connect mobile app, record daily steps, calories burned, distance and sleep.
- PlaysLike: new for the Approach S60, sensors in the watch will detect a shot on a downslope or upslope, and calculate how much longer or shorter the shot will alter due to the elevation.
- Course updates: using the Garmin Connect mobile app, new courses, or updates to existing courses can be uploaded.
A watch that helps coach golfers
The Garmin Approach S60 golf watch also has some associated tech to help improve your game.
- SwingTempo: analyzes players’ upswing and downswing, and provides a buzz to help synchronize and tune those components of the swing.
- TruSwing: an accessory, that clips onto a club and provides information on swing speed and club path/angles. It retails for $149.99.
Price and availability
The Garmin Approach S60 golf watch will be in stores in June, and available in two colors (black or white), and in two versions.
The regular Approach S60 will retail for $399.99, while a premium version, with a scratch-resistant ceramic bezel and black leather band, will sell for $499.99.
While waiting for the Approach S60 to hit the shelves, check out Amazon’s Garmin online store and buy online.